Tuesday, June 23, 2009

taking time to smell the flowers...

In celebrating spring and moving into summer now, I've taken some time to really look and smell the flowers and what I've found is that I'm even more drawn to them this year. The way the wind softly blows through them (or rips through them as it sometimes does here in the Berkshires) I'm enjoying the movement of flowers. It's something I hadn't really paid attention to before. Maybe it has something to do with how much more time I'm devoting to gardening this year. In addition to my flower beds, we've added a vegetable garden this year with raised beds. At any rate, drawing and painting flowers and vegetables has become interesting to me when I think of them as living things, rather than still life material. I love the opportunity to really study them. I'm concentrating on developing my skills to bring this sense of movement and aliveness to my painting.

2 comments:

  1. lovely painting :)

    and woop woop! for gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pinks and greens...You just gave me the inspiration to do a painting of just flowers ~ I've included them as detail before but not alone (well, I did do one whimsical ACEO) :D....Tomorrow I'll start my flower painting! Thanks Susan...God bless...

    www.treasuresfromhawaii.etsy.com
    www.treasuresfromhawaii.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I hope you have a wonderful, creative day...